Monday, February 16, 2009

Tip of the Hat, Wag of the Finger

Eat your heart out Steven Colbert...

Ok, anyways... Here is a story of a 29 year-old exposing himself to an undercover cop. Wait, what? Who cares about that? Why did this even make the news?? I forgot to mention this is the son of the Pastor of one of the biggest churches in Dallas, T. D. Jakes...
My tip of the hat goes to Bishop Jakes for his statement, "It is in moments like these that I am so grateful that we do not preach that we are the solution, but we look to Christ for resolution" and "So then, as a very human family with real issues, like many other people, we will draw from the same well of grace to which we have led others to drink and be refreshed." 

Truthful text hits world for 32k crushing. Sorry, that was the nerd coming out in me. But seriously, I am very pleased with the way Jakes handled this. The first thing that stands out to me is his humility. He recognizes that he is just a fallen man that needs grace just like the rest of us. 
Second, it that he is pointing people to the God that forgives and restores. A+My wag of the finger goes to Shayne Lee, a Tulane University Professor, who claims that the public is only having compassion on the pastor because "He doesn't have a judgmental message...
If he had been a Bible-thumping, finger-pointing kind of preacher, he'd be in trouble now."

I think Lee has a lot of truth to his statement but it sounds like a threat. There is nothing wrong with being judgemental, a bible-thumper, or finger-pointer if done correctly. Note that Jesus was without sin yet he was a "Bible-thumping (John 7:15), finger-pointing (Matthew 12:34), judgemental (John 5:22, Psalm 96:13)" person. Would this kind of thing get you in trouble? Look what happened to Jesus. But are we to turn into a bunch of "Joel Olsteens" and just try to tickle everyone's ear? No. The Truth is to be proclaimed no matter how unpopular we get. 

This is one of my favorite quotes:
I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have the Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made--I am a disciple of His. I won't look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is secure. I'm finished and done with low living, sight walking, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tame visions, worldly-talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals.

I no longer need pre-eminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don't have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised, regarded or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean in His presence, walk by patience, am uplifted by prayer and I labor with power.

My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my Guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, hired away, turned back, diluted, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the enemy, pander at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, give up till I drop, preach till all know, and work till He stops me. And, when He comes for His own, He will have no problem recognizing me... my banner will be clear.


1 comment:

  1. Christian Louboutin shoes become the right ones for any season based on the way you wear Christian Louboutin Pumps and use the right accessories. Christian Louboutin Boots are matched to perfection, the kind that will enable you to be able to bring out the very best in yourself. With Christian Louboutin Sandals on your feet you will have the social stigma of the most positive kind to be associated with.


    On the back you will find the famous ED Hardy signature that stretches from shoulder to shoulder as well as a more subtle version of the sea nymph. hardy shirt is truly a shirt to behold - and it's form-fitting to really set off a woman's figure. Another version of the hardy shirt Double Sleeve Women's Shirt is the "Tattoo Sleeve". hardy shirt has a similar fit and design with the difference that the lower sleeves are sheer with a tattoo design running up the arms, giving an appearance of an actual all-over-arm tattoo. It's an interesting look, and again is made without gaudiness or tackiness.


    Hogan also comes in junior/youth sizes. If you have a young one that is excited and enthusiastic about skating or you are just looking for a reliable pair of sneakers for them to kick around in the school yard, then Hogan scarpe donna may be the answer. It also does not hurt that you can get the wonderful Hogan scarpe uomo styling for a moderate price. Hogan uomo also comes in the same exciting, but not loud, colors.

    ReplyDelete