- More than half of all Christians also believe that some non-Christians can get into heaven.
- 71 percent of American adults say they are more likely to develop their own set of religious beliefs than to accept a defined set of teachings from a particular church.
- 61 percent pick and choose from the beliefs of different denominations. For people under the age of 25, the number rises to 82 percent.
- Nearly half do not believe in the existence of Satan.
- One-third believe Jesus sinned while on earth.
- Two-fifths say they don't have a responsibility to share their faith with others.
- 35,000 Americans found a majority of Christians saying that people of other religions can find salvation and eternal life.
- 65 percent of American Christians (including 47 percent of Evangelicals) do indeed think that many different religions can lead to eternal life.
- 80 percent cited one non-Christian faith as a route to salvation; 61 percent named two or more.
- When asked about how to obtain eternal life: 30 percent say correct beliefs are what counts, 29 percent say salvation depends on one's actions during life, while 10 percent say both are essential.
- Forty-two percent of religious Americans also say atheists are able to find eternal life.
Note: The article is from a Christian Science magazine which can't be trusted theologically... but polls are polls.
A note to professing Christians: Let me try to be very simple and clear on what you believe as a Christian:
- You are a sinner. You have in some form or fashion disobeyed God. Not just you, but everyone. This includes but is not limited to: Muslims, Jews, Christians, St. Paul, the Pope, my pastor, me, my wife, your golf caddy, and your mom.
- The punishment for your sin is the holy and just wrath of God (i.e. Hell)
- God didn't want to see us go to Hell because He loves us.
- God is a just God. He simply couldn't just turn a blind eye to our sin. It had to be punished.
- God took the form of a man called Jesus Christ to live a perfect life so that He could take the punishment we deserve.
- God's Holy and Just wrath was appeased in Christ's death on a cross.
- Christ's righteousness is now imputed on the behalf of those who believe in Him.
- God looks at those who believe as 'perfect' because of Christ sacrifice.
- God only allows 'perfect' people into His presence (i.e. Heaven)
- The only way to get to Heaven is through Christ. "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me [Jesus]." John 14:6
- Only those who believe in Christ will be saved. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
- The Bible is the Word of God. It is all you need. It is the 'Christian Handbook.' If you do not believe the bible then perhaps you should reexamine your religious claims. "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness," 2 Timothy 3:16
- Jesus never sinned. He was the only one that didn't sin. "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin." Hebrews 4:15